94: How Micro-managing created a toxic work environment [CASE STUDY]
Subscribe to the Podcast!
The Away travel brand went from a fast-growing popular brand to the epitome of the new toxic work environment leading to one of the CEO’s & co-founder stepping down.
A workplace can become toxic by inches, like a lobster boiling in a pot of water, before you know it the environment has taken it’s toll mentally & physically.
In this episode, we take a look at the toxicity that Away’s CEO Steph Korey’s micro-managing created, and the way the companies ‘values’ were used to manipulate its employees into working underpaid hours in difficult conditions.
This is the first case study where we break down the toxic work environment, how it happened, and what could have been done differently.
What you’ll hear in this podcast:
- The Away company was a toxic workplace
- How the employees were manipulated
- How Micro-managing impacted the environment
- How a companies Mission Vision & Values was used against staff
- The use of SLACK as the only means of communication and how that impacted communication
- Bullying with a smile
- How public shaming was used to keep employees in line.
- What was done right
- What went wrong
- How fear isolated individuals
- How loyalty was used to manipulate
Work with Lara
Got a Question? Comment? Email Support@laracurrie.com
Show Intro music is Whispering Through by Asura
isten for free on the go with any one of these players for both Android & iPhone
Get my 10 best tips on how to deal with people & sticky situations!
Get tons of tips on dealing with difficult people, having tough conversations, and navigating conflict.
Take the guesswork out of how to respond to rude, manipulative or just plain dysfunctional people
Take control of the situation so that you don’t get caught up reacting instead of responding
Know what to say - when you don’t know what to say