17: Stories & Public Speaking with Carol Cox
Subscribe to the Podcast!
This is a juicy episode filled with way’s that you can use a story in your everyday work life, from the boardroom to the stage. Carol and I talk about everything from our personal struggles and successes to the DNA of the feminine, from speaker hijackers to why Emma should stop watching Law and Order SVU.
Carol tells us how she uses the three-act story structure and the Hero’s journey when working with clients. There are lots of free giveaways on dealing with conflict and a strategic speaking guide.
What you’ll hear in this podcast:
• Stories help us see ourselves in others experiences
• Stories help us ‘rewrite history’ so that we can see a better way
• We don’t know how our personal story can impact others and the work that we do
• Throughout history, it was dangerous for Women to speak their truth
• How recognizing patterns can help your storytelling
• Do an after-action review post speaking engagement, guest podcast episode, board meeting etc.
• Practice and repeat your message as often as possible to become more comfortable
• Visualize your environment
• Use skills practice and reflection to become a better speaker
10 Tips for Dealing with “difficult”
Strategic Speaking Guide for you!
Amy Lang ‘Generating audience engagement’
“Within difficult is our greatest opportunity for growth”
“Proper preparation prevents a piss poor performance”
Show Intro music is Whispering Through by Asura
Get my 10 best tips on how to deal with people & sticky situations!
Get tons of tips on dealing with difficult people, having tough conversations, and navigating conflict.
Take the guesswork out of how to respond to rude, manipulative or just plain dysfunctional people
Take control of the situation so that you don’t get caught up reacting instead of responding
Know what to say - when you don’t know what to say